Monday, March 7, 2011

Podcast 21 - Progressive Futures

Continuing with the electronic music, I'd like to present where I think the music is headed, or at least the directions I am most interested in. They seem to be running low on names for new genres in electronic music because the tendency seems to be to just slap the word progressive in front of any number of extant labels: progressive house, progressive trance, progressive breaks... As I've said before, I'm not so interested in separating things into nicely organized boxes. What I do enjoy however, is good music and I've got a bunch of it here for you today. This mix goes out to three groups of people in particular. (in the most loving way of course)

First, those people who think Detroit techno is the only form of electronica they can ever enjoy. Okay, you don't like trance. That was more than a decade ago. There's some new sh#! out there that's kinda hot. You may wanna check it out. You can even buy it on vinyl!

Second, those people who tell me if there is a dj involved they're not interested. First off, I don't even know what that means because a dj is a disc jockey and that's the guy on the radio. You don't like music on the radio? Okay while maybe I can sympathize with that statement, basically you've probably just heard some really horrible stuff and your feelings, while rational, may change if exposed to a larger sample.

And third, while I do like a huge variety of music, to anyone that would ever come into my home and suggest some Fleetwood Mac as something I might enjoy this podcast is my answer to that.

Now it's time for me to get to work on this year's SXSW mixes. Who's excited?



Thanks for listening and don't forget to support the artists. Even if those artists are Fleetwood Mac. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6e_1rIh-3c

Aaron


Also, here's the video I refer to near the end of the podcast


Tracklist
1. Strobe by Deadmau5 on For Lack of a Better Name
2. Pandora by Mimosa on Psychedelic Stereo - EP
3. Step Up by Big Gigantic on A Place Behind the Moon
4. Pick Up (Four Tet Remix Edit) by Bonobo on Live Sessions EP
5. 7even by Jojo Mayer's Nerve on Prohibited Beats
6. I Got...by Mix n Blend, (Beats Antique Remix) by Beats Antique on Blind Threshold
7. Hot Like Dimes by Pretty Lights on Spilling Over Every Side
8. Animus Vox by The Glitch Mob on Drink the Sea
9. Side by Side by Felguk on Side by Side Single
10. Jeffer by Boys Noize on Starter


Same old directions on how to access the podcast

1. Use Itunes

-Open Itunes

- Click the “Advanced” pull down menu and select “Subscribe to a Podcast

- Paste following URL into the box: http://feeds.feedburner.com/ActiveListener

- Click “OK” and you’re set. Downloading should begin immediately and Itunes will automatically download new episodes

2. Download the file direct

-Click the link: http://feeds.feedburner.com/ActiveListener

-Find the link that says “Play Now” under the desired podcast and right click on it

-from the right click menu select “Save link as…”

-Choose location and file name and download. This needs to be done each time I release a new podcast.

No comments: