Here it is! The third annual South by Southwest (SXSW) Edition of the Active Listener Podcast. Like previous years, I have listened to every band that had a sample up on SXSW.com, around 1,100 bands. That is way too many songs to really get to know any of the bands well but what it can provide is a first impression. So with that in mind I have organized the 100 best first impressions I got into 9 genre specific mixes for your previewing pleasure. There are a couple new technical features to note this year. First, each podcast has individually labeled tracks for each song so you can skip around and repeat to your heart's content. Second, we've got a new way for you to contribute and join the conversation, the new Active Listener Podcast Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/ActiveListener. I'll be posting music recommendations and finds as they come to me so you do the same! Alright, enough with the introductions, on with the music.
Thanks for listening and don't forget to support the artists,
SXSW 2012 Edition (9/9): Acoustic (for the most part)
While I didn't find myself taken with as many acoustic offerings this year as I have in previous years, there was easily enough to fill this single, longest of the bunch, mix. Again, we've got a lot of different sounds all lumped together in the same box butt putting labels on things is so difficult. Just listen for yourself and let them speak to you.
1. Wishing Well by Cheyenne Marie Mize
2. Pillow Talk by Wild Child
3. Lucky by Kat Edmonson
4. What I Wouldn't Do by A Fine Frenzy
5. Chocolate by Erin Ivey and The Finest Kind
6. Clementine by Sarah Jaffe
7. And Suddenly... by Sion Russel Jones
8. The Scout by The Brothers Comatose
9. Road to California by Dan Dyer
10. Murderous Joy by Carter Tanton
11. Go Away My Lover by Elizabeth & the Catapult
12. Good to be a Man by Elle King
New instructions for how to get the podcast!!