I wanted to take a moment to remember an amazing piano player and all around jazz great who passed away in May, Hank Jones. The older brother of famed drummer Elvin and composer Thad, Hank was the last of the Joneses. While I certainly can't say I have known his work all along or anything like that, I did know him as the piano player on one of the first jazz albums I bought. I bought The Great Jazz Trio's album 's Wonderful around 2006 and really connected with it. I played their version of "Take Five" on a previous podcast but truly the whole cd is outstanding. While the list of his accomplishments since his birth in 1918 could be a book in and of itself, one thing he is known for that almost anyone, jazz fan or not, might like to know is that he was playing the accompanying piano when Marylin Monroe sang happy birthday to JFK.
So anyway, thanks again for listening. Making these ten mixes has been a blast. I love hearing what people think and the recommendations people have given me. I'm really enjoying this so expect the podcasts to keep coming.
Don't forget to support the artists,
1. Wave by The Ahmad Jamal Trio on The Awakening
2. Fly Me to the Moon by Eldar on Eldar
3. Question and Answer by The Roy Haynes Trio on The Roy Haynes Trio
4. Diamonds and Pearls by The Marcin Wasilewski Trio on January
5. Eighty-Eight Days in My Veins by E.S.T. (Esjorn Svensson Trio) on Viaticum
6. Pinzin Kinzin by The Avishai Cohen Trio on Gently Disturbed
7. Mami Gato by Medeski, Martin, and Wood on End of the World Party (Just in Case)